Detox January - C Cooks: Middle Eastern Chicken, Ginger, Apricot and Pomegranate Stew
|Something seedy going on here|
When the snow came down quickly last week, C found herself pretty much stranded in central London - the trains out to her place in Surrey were all cancelled, and she sought refuge by working from 'home' for a couple of days at A's flat.
Knowing that A was getting thrashed at work with the deals he's working on, C decided to take advantage of having some time around the flat before he got in from work to make them a comforting dinner for a Monday night. It's rare that A takes the time to eat a 'proper' meal on weekday evenings with his hours, and she wanted to make sure that they were both getting something warming, healthy and hearty to steel them for the rest of the week.
|In a stew over dinner|
Turning, as ever, to the Middle East, she made a Chicken, Ginger, Apricot and Pomegranate Stew - which she's pleased to say went down very well. It ticked all the boxes in terms of taste, consistency and heartiness (and colour!), and the best thing is that it's ready in under an hour, so is perfect for during the week.
A demanded that she snap a few photos and blog it - and so here's the recipe. It's taken from BBC Good Food, but tweaked a little to our tastes.
|Is that stew?|
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp root ginger, grated (or perhaps a little more, if you love the taste of the stuff as we do)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 tsp ras-el-hanout or baharat spice blend
- 100g red lentils
- 10 ready-to-eat apricots, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 500ml chicken stock
- Fresh mint, handful
- Fresh coriander, handful
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- A dash of sugar
- Rice or couscous (to serve with)
|Spice up your life|
- Heat 1tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion, ginger and garlic, and season. Cook this for 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes and then add the spice blend, lentils, apricots and lemon juice.
- Stir in 500ml of stock or water and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste, and add a dash of sugar if needed.
- Stir in the herbs and pomegranate seeds and serve with rice or couscous.
|Leave it to stew|
And there you have it - ridiculously easy, and really warming and hearty with a bit of a kick and a wonderful depth of flavour. And, at approximately 295 calories per serving, it's healthy too. We'd definitely recommend!